Thursday, October 31, 2013

Predecessors XV: Petrosian-Botvinnik 1963

Last week we looked at the plagiarised Times column that Ray produced for 8 June, which was followed by similarly plagiarised columns on 10, 11 and 12 June. Today it's the column for 7 June which interests us.


As with the 8 June column, this one was plagiarised from My Great Predecessors, Part Three.


This particular game appears on pages 59 to 64.

1. White's move seventeen.

Times:

My Great Predecessors:

2. White's move eighteen.

Times:

My Great Predecessors:

Ray's intentions are obvious, and he continues...

3. Black's move eighteen.

Times:

My Great Predecessors:

The plagiarism is clear to all, but not everything is directly copied: Ray is careful enough to notice the error in the original and change

into

in a perhaps unusually alert moment.

4. Black's move twenty.

Times:

My Great Predecessors:

A large amount of précis there, but this précis is plagiarism nonetheless.

5. Black's move twenty-three.

Times:
My Great Predecessors:

This isn't the whole note: Ray wouldn't have had room in this whole column to plagiarise it in full. His note is plagiarised but short - stealing in moderation, like a kid scrumping apples one per tree.

6. White's move twenty-seven.

Times:


My Great Predecessors:

White misses 27.f5!!, and Ray misses out the information that the move comes from Konstantinopolsky, though the rest is from his habitual source.

A quick skip through the last three notes...

7. White's move thirty-two.

Times:

My Great Predecessors:

8. White's move thirty-six.

Times:

My Great Predecessors:

9. White's move forty-five.

Times:


My Great Predecessors:

This little problem, too, could be solved instantly. Couldn't it?

[Thanks to Pablo Byrne]

[Plagiarised by Ray Keene index]
[Ray Keene plagiarism index]
[Ray Keene index]

No comments: